Gluten free and other allergen free foods can be more expensive than their gluten-containing counterparts. However, eating with an allergy does not need to break the bank. I can help you save money with some easy strategies.
1. Follow Bloggers & Brands on Social Media
• Follow allergen free bloggers like me and brands like Hilary’s on social media because both of us give away coupons and free products! Hilary’s and I did a Twitter chat last year and we gave away free product coupons to a few of the participants. Furthermore, I partner with brands to give away free product to my followers. Brands like Hilary’s also offer discounts on their website and social media posts over certain holidays and ever so often so keep an eye out.
2. Collect Coupons
• Look out for coupons at your local supermarket, online, and events like as allergen-free expos. Want to save a little extra on your favorite Hilary’s products? Here is a link to their downloadable coupons!
3. Stock Up During Sales
• Stock up on certain products when they are on sale and/or the price is low.
4. Freeze Foods
• Freezing foods helps you prolong the life of products that you find on sale. Look out for products that are on sale near their expiration date – you can still buy it and freeze it and then use it past the expiration date if you follow freezer storage limits.
5. Gas Rewards
• You can save money on gas if you use your shopper card at participating stores. Thus, spending more money on allergen free food can save you more money on gas.
6. Plan Your Meals
• Develop and utilize a menu plan as this will save money and time. If you have your meals planned, then you are less likely to stop for fast food or dine out. Keep the needed ingredients for the week ready to go so you don’t have to worry about running out to the store right before dinner.
Jackie Aanonsen is the Founder & CEO of Gluten Free Follow Me, the guide to dining gluten free in NYC, California and beyond! She details and ranks over 2,000 gluten free friendly eateries and products on her website - follow her journey!