- 1 Hilary’s Spicy Veggie Meatless Breakfast Sausage
- 1.5 tablespoons preferred oil
- 16 ounces cremini mushrooms , finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, grated
- 2 medium carrots, finely grated
- 4 cloves garlic, minced or crushed
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and fresh-cracked pepper to taste
- 12 oz of gluten-free spaghetti pasta
Cook pasta as per package instructions.
Heat oil in a large pan over medium-high heat until it's hot and shimmering. Then add mushrooms and sauté until they have released their moisture, reduced in size and are slightly browned. The pan should be mostly dry (about 7-8 minutes).
Reduce heat to medium. Add onions, carrots, and garlic. Sauté until cooked down about 3-4 minutes.
Make a small well in the pan to add the tomato paste. Cook for 30 seconds, then stir in veggies. Add Hilary’s Spicy Veggie Breakfast Sausage.
Add balsamic vinegar and Italian seasoning. Cook for 30-60 seconds.
Turn up the heat to medium-high and cook 2-3 minutes. Turn heat back to medium.
Add tomatoes, vegetable broth, nutritional yeast, and bay leaf. Bring to a simmer then reduce heat to low. Cook until sauce thickens and flavor deepens, about 10-15 minutes (longer for deeper flavor). Add salt and pepper to taste. Remove bay leaf and remove from heat. Let the sauce sit a few minutes to thicken.
Top over freshly-cooked pasta and enjoy!