Vegan Casserole with Beans
- 2 Hilary’s Adzuki Bean Burger
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 Romano peppers, sliced width-ways, pits and seeds removed
- 1/4 tsp dried red chilli flakes
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 50 ml red wine
- 2 cans of chopped tomatoes
- 80 ml water
- 1 can butter beans, drained and rinsed in cold water
- handful of fresh thyme
- 1 large dried bay leaf
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1 tbsp flat leaf parsley
- Heat the oil in a large casserole dish. Add the diced onion plus 1/4 tsp of sea salt and cook over a low heat for about 20 minutes stirring regularly until they are soft and golden.
- Turn up the heat to medium then add the chili flakes, smoked paprika and rosemary and cook for a minute, then add the garlic, cook for another minute. Pour the wine into the pan and stir well until the wine has reduced fully. Then pour in the can of tomatoes. Add some water to the empty can, give a little swirl then pour it into the pan.
- Now add the peppers, beans, thyme, bay leaf salt and pepper. Stir well then cover with a lid, turn down the heat a little and leave to simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Cook Hilary’s Adzuki Bean Burger on stove. Cut into small pieces and add to the pan.
- Add the burgers to the tomato and bean sauce to pan. Check the seasoning. Turn up the heat to medium then leave the sauce to reduce for about 10 minutes. Add the parsley just before you serve it.
- Serve immediately with mashed potatoes or creamy polenta. Enjoy!